Susan G. Komen Greater Kansas City taps Meierotto and Wallace for Affiliate Leadership

Local board adds additional healthcare professionals as affiliate begins 21st year in KC

KANSAS CITY, MO: February 26, 2014 – Susan G. Komen Greater Kansas City Affiliate announced a new slate of board members including two additions to the local leadership team. Ruby Meierotto, a breast radiologist at Saint Luke’s East Hospital and Charlene Wallace, Director of the Breast Center and Center for Women’s Health at Shawnee Mission Medical Center became the latest to be added to the 10-member board.

“Both Ruby and Charlene already exemplify what our board members represent,” said Laurie Roberts, Board President and Managing Director at Parris Communications. “They each have a passion for women’s health and a dedication to ensure all women have access to the services they need to be healthy.”

Komen Kansas City Executive Director Carli Good echoed Roberts’ comments following the board retreat where the nominees were confirmed. “Adding Ruby and Charlene was an easy decision for the board. Both women have long-standing histories with our affiliate; Ruby has been a frequent participant at our Race for the Cure each year and routinely spoke to the tens of thousands who gathered to celebrate local breast cancer survivors on behalf of her employer. Charlene has been volunteering for some time as part of Komen KC’s Outreach Committee and has ensured that Shawnee Mission Medical Center was always well-represented at the Pink Promise Brunch each year. We are all very excited to have them as part of our team.”

Meierotto & Wallace were part of an overall slate that approved an additional year for board officers: Roberts continues as board president in addition to Denise Gilmore, President/CEO of the Jazz District Redevelopment Corporation, as vice president and Sharon Latimer, CPA/Partner at RubinBrown LLP, as treasurer. Also approved for a second three-year term were George Verschelden, Partner at Stinson Leonard Street; Shalina Gupta-Burt, MD, Lawrence Cancer Center; and Mary Buschmann, Executive Director of the USTA Missouri Valley.

Komen KC will kick off its 21st year of providing breast health awareness, education, advocacy and life-saving screenings to the community at its annual Komen Reveal Event in April. The affiliate is set to announce its next round of local grantees that night as well as to announce the 2014 Legacy Promise Award Recipient to be presented at the Pink Promise Brunch in May.

About Susan G. Komen® Greater Kansas City: Susan G. Komen Greater Kansas City Affiliate is the leader in breast health awareness, education and advocacy throughout its 17 county, Kansas and Missouri, service area. Through high profile events like the annual Pink Promise Brunch and Race for the Cure®, the Kansas City Affiliate has raised and invested more than $10 million in community breast health programs and education. Up to 75% of net proceeds generated by the affiliate stay locally in the Kansas City region. In 2013, Komen Kansas City awarded nearly $1.0 million in grants to 17 area nonprofits. The remaining income (25%) goes to the Susan G. Komen National Grants Program to fund cutting edge breast cancer research. More than $6.5 million has returned to the Greater Kansas city area in the form of Komen National Grants as well. For more information on the affiliate you can connect with us on Facebook, Twitter and/or Instagram or visit us on the Web at

About Susan G. Komen® Globally: Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Since its founding in 1982, Komen has funded more than $800 million in research and provided $1.7 billion in funding to screening, education, treatment and psychosocial support programs serving millions of people in more than 30 countries worldwide. Komen was founded by Nancy G. Brinker, who promised her sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would end the disease that claimed Suzy’s life. Visit or call 877.GOKOMEN. Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.

To our users and readers

Press Release Central has moved to a new server. What does this mean for you? Releases posted prior to March 1, 2012 have gone away, as has your old account registration info. Everyone will need to re-register for an account. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Want your event in our calendar?

Would you like your event published in The Kansas City Star? We’d be glad to consider it.

Enter your event


About Press Release Central

Press Release Central is Kansas City’s largest community site for press releases announcing news of all kinds: business, entertainment, sports and more. Releases stay for an extended period, so messages live a long life. And if you’re hunting for tips or information, just search to find news, names and subjects you might have missed.