Family-To-Family mental health program starts Jan. 28
Beginning Tuesday, Jan. 28, there will be free education and support for families of individuals with mental illness at Tri-County Mental Health Services. The NAMI Family-to-Family Education Program is a free, 12-week course for families and friends of individuals who are dealing with conditions such as ADHD, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. The course is taught by trained family members who have lived with this experience. The course teaches the knowledge and skills that family members need to cope more effectively.
Family-to-Family Course Topics include: • Family responses to the trauma of mental illness.
• Schizophrenia, major depression, and mania: Diagnosis and dealing with critical periods.
• Depression and Bipolar subtypes; Panic disorder; Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD);
• Borderline Personality Disorder; Co-occurring brain and addictive disorders.
• The biology of the brain: emerging scientific discoveries.
• Problem solving workshop
• Medication review
• Understanding the inner experience of having a mental illness.
• Communication skills workshop.
• Self-care, relative group testimony.
• Rehabilitation, services available.
• Advocacy, fighting stigma.
Class begins Jan. 28. It consists of 12 Tuesdays from 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm at Tri-County Mental Health Services 3100 NE 83rd St, Kansas City. The NAMI Family-To-Family Education Program is appropriate for parents, siblings, other family members and significant others of person with severe and persistent mental illness. Registration is required.
To register or for more information, please contact: NAMI-KC Jen Boyden at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 816-931-0030.
To our users and readers
Press Release Central has moved to a new server. What does this mean for you? Releases posted prior to March 1, 2012 have gone away, as has your old account registration info. Everyone will need to re-register for an account. We apologize for this inconvenience.
Want your event in our calendar?
Would you like your event published in The Kansas City Star? We’d be glad to consider it.
About Press Release Central
Press Release Central is Kansas City’s largest community site for press releases announcing news of all kinds: business, entertainment, sports and more. Releases stay for an extended period, so messages live a long life. And if you’re hunting for tips or information, just search to find news, names and subjects you might have missed.